Saturday, July 12, 2008

Treking through the Show-Me State

Rarely, it seems, do I have two blog posts from the same state. We are going through them at a pretty decent clip. Today, however, I follow up my post from St. Louis with one from Joplin, MO. We have been going Southwest (I sense a theme here) across the state, having adventures along the way. Two long days in the Ozarks (two centuries in a row. Ouch.) were rewarded by a build day in Springfield, MO, where we stayed yesterday. The build day was hot, humid, and involved alot of hammering on a blitz build being done by the Habitat chapter there. It was rewarding work because it was so tangibly productive. We saw a boxy form transform into a house with a roof, insulation, and a few appliances. It made me dream (ever-so briefly) about a life in construction. Too bad I have no skills. Or upper body strength.
To be honest with myself (and my readers), the highlight of Springfield was actually the Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World, a fishing store that was so much more. A sign over the door reading "Welcome hunters, fishermen, and other liars" welcomed us into a wonderland of camo, trucker hats, guns, waterfalls, live fish, live DUCKS, a starbucks, a barber shop, a restaurant, and many more ridiculous and wonderful things. After an hour of rampaging around the store in a full-on camo jumpsuit, I was as tired as I am after most riding days. And as exhilarated. Well, maybe not. But almost.
I feel that the Bass Pro Shop is pretty indicative of my experience with Missouri. More pick-up trucks, more camo, and fewer leashes and gates for dogs.
Will write from Oklahoma.

No comments: