Sunday, August 17, 2008

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

In a strange and almost unbelievable twist, all 31 of us actually made it to SANTA BARBARA!
A short last day, we rode the last 5 miles in one big pack (which served to remind me how unsafe and annoying this is, even though it was fun) and rolled up to East Beach all together, where we were greeted by enthusiastic friends and family screaming, whistling, and holding some of the most enormous signs I have ever seen. We, of course, ignored all of our loved ones, stripped ourselves of our valuables and our bikes and sprinted to the Pacific. We frolicked, played, did one last Jorge-directed cheer, and covered each other with Champagne before we ceremonially dipped our tires in the Pacific and went back to talk to our families.
The days after that have all been a sort of blur. It seems strange not to be sleeping with 30 other people on a floor or getting up at 4 am or eating vast quantities of peanut butter and jelly.
I don't really know how to conclude this entry. A profound parting thought seems appropriate, but after a smmer of riding through America, no easy conclusion is forthcoming. The only thing that I can say is that this summer has been full of surprises. America surprised me. The hilly lushness of the Berkshires, the vastness and beauty of the Southwest, and the utopic coastal views of California revealed how little I know about my own country and that you really don't have to go far to feel like you are lightyears away. Strangers surprised me. Sure, we recieved our fair share of honks and catcalls, but we recieved far more random donations, friendly waves, and invitations to dinner. My fellow riders surprised me. Their strength and positivity and willingness to sacrifice was phenomenal. Mostly, though, I surprised myself. I leave this summer with a new self-confidence. The future seemed scary, with too many things I "should" be doing and a real threat of being unable or unwilling to make it on my own. After this summer, though, it promises to be a real adventure that I will not only be able to handle on my own, but will enjoy in the process.
Anyway. Sorry if that was excessively introspective and thank you all for reading and for your continual support.

- Katie

2 comments:

Julie said...

Ok. That made me cry. Big surprise, I'm sure. I'm so proud of you and I love you!!

Sage said...

Um hi, it's me. What are you doing now and when will you call me? I've been waiting on pins and needles to hear about your triumphant arrival since the 14th. Not to get too sappy on a public blog, but not hearing daily insults from you is making me very sad. Phone me up and call me some mean names sometime soon. Thank you! And congrats, once again!